As excitement builds around HBO’s upcoming Harry Potter television series, franchise creator J.K. Rowling has broken her silence to praise the casting of its trio of young leads Harry, Ron, and Hermione. However, she has still notably avoided addressing ongoing controversy surrounding Paapa Essiedu as a race-swapped Severus Snape.
Rowling Offers Praise for New Trio
On May 27th, HBO announced that Dominic McLaughlin, Arabella Stanton, and Alastair Stout would take on the iconic roles of Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley, respectively.

The official Harry Potter trio, with Arabella Stanton as Hermione Granger, Dominic McLaughlin as the titular Harry Potter, and Alastair Stout as Ron Weasley – HBO
The casting came after a worldwide search for the three Harry Potter leads Rowling created in her exceptionally successful novels, involving more than 30,000 young actors.
Rowling, who serves as executive producer on the series, shared her enthusiasm on social media.
All three are wonderful. I couldn’t be happier.
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) May 27, 2025
“All three are wonderful. I couldn’t be happier,” she said in response to another post.
McLaughlin has performed alongside Ralph Fiennes in Macbeth, while Stanton has starred in Matilda the Musical on the West End. Stout gained attention for his resemblance to Rupert Grint and appearances in UK television ads.
But while Rowling has offered unqualified support for the newly revealed trio, her silence on the more controversial Harry Potter casting of Paapa Essiedu as Severus Snape has not gone unnoticed.
Paapa Essiedu Controversy Remains Unaddressed in Recent Comments
Essiedu’s casting as Severus Snape, announced earlier this year, sparked immediate online debate. Critics questioned the decision to alter the character’s established depiction from the books and films—particularly one so strongly associated with the late Alan Rickman.

Paapa Essiedu performing in Royal Shakespeare’s Hamlet – YouTube, LOWRY
The discussion intensified when it was revealed that Essiedu signed an open letter opposing a recent UK Supreme Court ruling affirming the legal definition of “sex” as biological. The letter, co-signed by other actors who have appeared in Rowling’s wizarding world including Eddie Redmayne and Katie Leung, accused the court’s decision of threatening the “safety” of individuals who identify differently from their birth sex.
Rowling, a vocal supporter of the ruling and advocate for sex-based rights, responded to the open letter with a lengthy essay posted to X.
“Nobody sane believes, or has ever believed, that humans can change sex,” the author, herself a survivor of assault, said. “Pretending to believe these things has become an elitist badge of virtue.”

A post from JK Rowling on X pushing back against the letter opposing the UK’s stance on gender – X, @jk_rowling
Though she never called out Essiedu by name, the timing of her post and the reference to signatories in “the arts” left little doubt as to what prompted the response.
When asked directly on social media whether Essiedu should be removed from the project due to his political views, Rowling replied simply.
I don’t have the power to sack an actor from the series and I wouldn’t exercise it if I did. I don’t believe in taking away people’s jobs or livelihoods because they hold legally protected beliefs that differ from mine. pic.twitter.com/nKcAl3gcvO
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) May 5, 2025
“I don’t have the power to sack an actor from the series and I wouldn’t exercise it if I did,” she said, in a statement many saw as a stance against cancel culture. “I don’t believe in taking away people’s jobs or livelihoods because they hold legally protected beliefs that differ from mine.”
Rowling has since made no further comments about Essiedu’s role.
A Divided Fanbase and Franchise Pressure
The situation highlights a key challenge for HBO and Warner Bros. Discovery as they move forward with the adaptation. On one hand, Rowling’s presence on the project has prompted criticism from progressive fans who oppose her views on gender-related issues. On the other, more traditional fans have raised concerns that the show is leaning into modern identity politics through key casting decisions—alienating audiences on both ends of the cultural divide.

Alan Rickman as Severus Snape in Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 – YouTube, MovieClips
Essiedu, known for his performances in I May Destroy You and stage productions like Hamlet, brings a different interpretation of Snape to the screen. But whether fans will embrace this version—or continue to see the role through the lens of Alan Rickman’s performance—remains to be seen.
What Lies Ahead
Despite the controversy, HBO remains committed to the series, which will retell Rowling’s seven novels over what the company has described as a “decade-long” adaptation. The exact number of seasons has not been confirmed. Casting for major roles—including Dumbledore (John Lithgow), McGonagall (Janet McTeer), Hagrid (Nick Frost), and Quirrell (Luke Thallon)—has steadily trickled out in recent months.
Rowling’s public endorsement of the new trio suggests she remains invested in the creative direction of the series, but her selective silence around Essiedu’s casting continues to raise questions about how closely involved she’ll be when politics and performance collide.

Author J.K. Rowling reads from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone at the Easter Egg Roll at White House. Screenshot taken from official White House video. Photo Credit: Executive Office of the President, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
With filming set to begin later this year and a 2026 premiere planned, Harry Potter is once again at the center of a cultural moment—one that stretches far beyond magic on the page or screen.
Do you think Rowling made the right call by distancing herself from the Paapa Essiedu Harry Potter casting backlash? Or should she take a more active stance? Let us know in the comments below.
UP NEXT: Dollywood Defeats Disneyland, Named America’s Favorite Theme Park for Third Year Running


